Mugnano is a small district in the Comune of Bomarzo. The medieval hamlet rises on a tufaceous spur in the Tiber Valley. First records about the site date back to the Middle Ages. Around the second half of the 13th century, the borgo was a fiefdom belonging to the Orsini family. Probably, the construction of the cylindric tower took place during this period.
The Torre di Mugnano overlooks the town, and it features loopholes, singular windows, and corbels all around the circumference.
The Palazzo Orsini is a 1300s palace, although it attained its current look around the 16th century thanks to Carlo Orsini, the Lord of Mugnano. The loggia designed by Peruzzi and the frescoes that adorn the internal halls were also realized in this period. Today, the building has been turned into a hotel.
Throughout the centuries, the fiefdom became a property of the Colonna and Farnese families, and it returned to the Orsinis in 1432. In the past, defensive walls surrounded the castle, but they were then completely demolished.
The most interesting sights in the town are religious architectures:
• Chiesa dei Santi Vincenzo e Liberato;
• Chiesa di Santa Lucia;
• Chiesa di San Rocco;
• Chiesa del Cimitero.